MARCH 2020 NEWSLETTER
SERVING SKAGIT AND ISLAND COUNTIES
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK or at https://namiskagit.org/
In consideration of Covid-19 epidemic, NAMI Skagit is working to continue providing community support and education services while minimizing meetings and in-person contacts with the intention of reducing and slowing the spread of the virus.
Consequently, we will be immediately pausing all current educational classes for a period of two weeks. We will reassess whether and when we can restart NAMI classes at the end of March.
Additionally, all in-person support groups will be temporarily suspended in favor of remote meetings. Support groups will continue using teleconferencing and online meeting options allowing group members to dial in from their home phone or cell phone or to join the meeting using a computer or smartphone. Group leaders will be reaching out to participants with details on how to participate remotely.
Our goal is to continue services while protecting the health and welfare of the community and we hope and intend to resume normal operations as soon as we may.
- Helping Children and Teens Cope with Anxiety About COVID-19 on Seattletimes.org
- Lockdowns to curb coronavirus epidemic lead to a rise in mental health issues on health.usnews.com
- Staying connected — at a distance on wwww.washington.edu
NAMI Signature Programs Offered by NAMI Skagit
NAMI Connection Recovery Support Group is only for those 18+ who live with a mental illness & want to start or strengthen their recovery. Led by a team who make mental health & wellness a priority in their daily lives, they offer encouragement and help the group gain insight from hearing the challenges & successes of others. No registration needed.
- Meets 1st & 3rd Mondays monthly 7-8:30 pm in the library of the Anacortes United Methodist Church 2201 H Ave (park in back, enter church from lower level). Call Sandy with questions (360-420-6595) Noon- 6pm.
- Meets 2nd & 4th Mondays monthly 6:30-8 pm in Arlington at the Smokey Point Community Church 17721 Smokey Pt. Blvd. This group is a partnership with NAMI Snohomish. Call Polly with questions (360-559-1509).
- Meet 2nd Monday of each month starting March 9, 2020 from 2pm-3:30pm at Stilly Valley Health Connections, 875 Wesley St Suite 240 Arlington. For more information, please call (360)-386-9918
NAMI Family-to-Family Education Program is for families, partners and friends of people who have mental health conditions. Offered at no cost and designed to help participants gain a better understanding of mental health conditions, improve coping skills and empower them to advocate for their loved one. Consists of 12- 2.5 hour sessions. Call Marti (360-770-5666) to register.
NAMI Family & Friends informs people who have loved ones with a mental health condition how to best support them. It’s also an opportunity to meet other people in similar situations and gain community support. Consists of either a 90-minute or 4-hour seminar. Call Marti to register (360-770-5666).
NAMI Peer-to-Peer Recovery Education Program is for anyone who is experiencing or has experienced the challenges of a mental health condition. Participants learn communication skills, strengthen relationships, balance changing health care needs and better understand their mental health and recovery. Consists of 8- 2 hour sessions. If you’d like to attend the next available class please email Polly (email@example.com) to register.
These additional NAMI Skagit groups are available:
Open Support Group is for those living with mental illness, family members, partners & supportive friends. This group generally follows the description (see above) for the Family Support Group. No registration needed. No cost.
- Meets 4th Tuesday monthly 7-8:30 pm at Skagit Valley Hospital 300 Hospital Parkway, Mt Vernon in (Sauk Conference Room). Call Marti with questions (360-770-5666).
- Meets 4th Thursday monthly 7-8:30 pm in the Anacortes United Methodist Church library, 2201 H Ave. Park in back, enter church from lower level. Primarily for those with mental illness. Call Diana with questions (360-424-8224).